When do I need an assessment?
All potential Class 1A Truck Driver and Heavy Equipment Operator students that wish to receive Skills PEI funding for their training will have to ensure that they meet the minimum industry requirements. This will be measured through the PEITSC's Driver Assessments based on the following documentation:
In order to ensure you meet the minimum standard required of our new entry drivers, the PEITSC will conduct a complete assessment of your skills and several pieces of documentation that relate to you eligibility for employment within the industry. Upon completion of this assessment, the PEITSC will either provide a letter of support for your funding application (Skills PEI Requirement) or provide you with detailed information on why they cannot support your pursuit of training in this industry.
Documents Reviewed as part of Assessment
Potential Class 1A Truck Driver students
· Original or certified copy driver’s abstract (must go back minimum of five 5 years), dated within thirty days.
· Original or certified copy of Certificate of Criminal Record Check, dated within thirty days. If client has a criminal record, they will be requested to obtain full record with fingerprint search for review or a completed Self Declaration form.
· Original copy of approved medical and vision test for Class 1A, dated within six (6) months. If Driver medical has already been submitted to Department of Transportation, Driver’s license number and address will be required for PEITSC to verify it is on file.
· Completed Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES) Assessment –administered by PEITSC
Potential 1A students will also be required to attend an Industry Presentation (approximately 30 minutes in length) discussing issues like supply and demand, impact on family life, salary expectations, etc.
Potential Heavy Equipment Operator students
· Original or certified copy driver’s abstract (must go back minimum of five years); dated within thirty days (this is to verify that the individual holds a valid class 5 license and will not be evaluated for insurance purposes).· Completed Test of Workplace Essential Skills (TOWES) Assessment – administered by PEITS